Tuesday 22 January 2013

Looking forwards to reading... The Horologicon

One of the many books I'm looking forwards to reading this year is The Horologicon. I haven't wanted to get my hands on a book this badly since the last Harry Potter was due to be published!!! I found out about this book from Booksandquills, which is a great Youtube book review channel run by Sanne, a UK-based Dutch girl. Definitely worth checking out!



I am a HUGE language geek. I love etymology. One of my favourite books is Simon Winchester's The Meaning of Everything, which tells the story of how the Oxford English Dictionary came to be. I love finding out new words like other people love finding out new bands.  In other words... I love words and everything language related, which is why I find the concept of this book so flipping brilliant.

The Horologicon is a book about 'lost' words of the English language. That in itself would bean  interesting concept, but what makes this book super fun, is that the words are not presented in alphabetical order, but rather in the order that you would be most likely to use them during the day (hence the title, which means 'book of hours').

I mostly buy books through the Kindle these days, bit I sense this one might have to be a 'proper' book purchase!

And speaking of being a language geek... Can I please point out the genius that is the person who made this?


                                                                           Photo credit: kaz814 at Craftster

No comments:

Post a Comment