Tuesday 15 January 2013

Beautiful Bookshops: Plaza Ateneo

Ok, so I know this blog is supposed to be about the reviews of the books I am reading, but as I love absolutely all aspects of books and reading, I'll branch out a bit once in a while.  I think it's fair to say that most everyone who enjoys books and reading also loves bookshops. I know I do! Yes, I'm sure we all love the likes of Watertsone's and Barnes & Noble, but my favourite bookshops are the ones not everyone knows about. The less obvious ones that when you stumble upon, you feel like  it popped out of nowhere just for you and that you then alternate between wanting to shout out to the world about them and not telling a soul so you can keep it as 'your own'.

To be fair, this bookshop I'm about to mention is really not that big a secret, at least not in South America.  But I am always surprised that people further afield have not heard of it, just because it is so very unusual. I am talking about the Plaza Ateneo, in Buenos Aires (Argentina).

Photo by Bob Krist for National Geographic Traveler

Once upon a time, somewhere in the 1920s, it was a grand and fancy movie theatre. A proper old fashioned and glamorous one with private balconies and huge, red velvet curtains.  At some point, it was going to be demolished, but then some genius Argentinian person decided to turn it into a bookshop. Now, it would already have been nice just to know that you are shopping inside a previous 1920s theatre, but the owners went one step ahead, and left as much of the movie theatre untouched as they could. What that means in practice, is that there are still humongous, lush red velvet curtains hanging down in the middle of the shop, and that you can sit down to peruse a book in one of the balconies - that alone is worth a visit! I'm pretty sure that this idea has not been replicated anywhere in the world.

The Plaza Ateneo  is so unique, that in 2008 the Guardian rightfully chose it as one of the top 10 bookshops in the world! It is oh so well worth going if you ever find yourself in Argentina. Plus after shopping, you can stop at one of Buenos Aires' many lovely cafes and have a media luna.

Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment