Monday 28 January 2013

Don't let the movie ruin the book!

So very many films nowadays are adapted from novels. I have to be very honest (and I can feel the arthritic pains coming on just from thinking this), I really don't remember it being like this when I was young. At 31, I'm not exactly ready for my free bus pass yet, but still I can see the change. The only book adaptation that stands out in my mind was The Neverending Story. I liked the film, but I distinctly remember being mighty pissed off at every detail they changed/neglected to include.


Please tell me I wasn't the only one left emotionally scarred by the horse scene...

The point is, as awesome as movies are, they will never come near to the full experience of the book. Take the Harry Potter series for example. I know there are millions of people out there who are fans of the film but have never read the book. While there is quite obviously noting inherently wrong with that, I can't help but feel these people missed out on so many lovely bits and bobs from the book. Details that made you feel like you were really part of that world. I, for one, will never forgive the script writers for the glaring omission of Peeves. I mean, really?!?!?!? Throughout all the films I felt like I was mentally adding details to complete what was missing, and I kept thinking, but how can you possibly get the whole picture here if you didn't read the book? 

I've always made it a priority to read a book before watching the film. It seems nowadays you have to be extra speedy, as any book that is vaguely successful seems to have the rights to it snatched up before  the first copy has hardly left the printer. I feel very strongly about this, but I always assumed I was just being my usual anal bookish self. Imagine my delight then, when I realised Hank Green felt the same! YAYYYYY! A couple of years ago, he (with some help from Nerdfighteria!) created Read It 1st, a website were you can pledge to read the novel before watching the film. It was created because, 

"five of the top 10 movies of 2010 were based on books. Most of the people who watched those movies had never read the book. In fact, most people in America read fewer than two books per year. While movies are great, and we love them, the stories from those movies were originally envisioned in a different way. A way that requires more interaction, more brain, more relaxation, more free time, and more commitment. We think those are all things that the world doesn't have enough of these days."

If you would like to join the pledge, go here, and in the words of Hank Green, "don't let the movie ruin the book"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment